Tax Tips

Moving Away From or Moving to Ireland? You May Be Eligible For a Tax Rebate

Did you live and work in Ireland for a period of time and have now left? Or are you returning to Ireland after working abroad for a time? If you have been paying Irish tax, then you may be eligible for a rebate! There are so many things to think about when you’re moving to or leaving a country, it is easy to forget about your taxes.

Luckily, you may be eligible to get your money back if you’ve overpaid taxes in Ireland. To ease the stress and confusion, we have pulled together this quick guide to help you understand if you may be eligible to get your money back.


moving abroad Irish tax

Are you eligible for an Irish tax rebate?

To qualify for a rebate, you must have been employed and paying tax in Ireland. If you qualify as a Resident for Tax Purposes, you may be entitled to claim tax back.


What is a Resident for Tax Purposes?

Your residence for tax purpose status is dependent on the number of days that you are present in Ireland during a tax year (A tax year refers to the period from 1 January to 31 December).

You are resident for tax purposes for a year if:

  1. You spend 183 days or more in Ireland in that year from 1 January – 31 December.
  2. You spend 280 days or more in Ireland over a period of two consecutive tax years, with a minimum of 30 days in each year

Do you qualify for a rebate?

In certain circumstances, Irish residents who work abroad may still have to pay tax in both Ireland and their country of employment. However, there is no reason to be worried about paying tax twice – there are a number of tax credits that can be applied to ensure you get your money back.


moving to Ireland tax

Split Year Relief

If you are moving abroad and you will be resident in Ireland in the year of departure and non-resident in the following year, you will be taxed in the normal way and will be allowed full tax credits. Split Year Relief applies to employment income only (Directorships not included).

Alternatively, if you are moving to Ireland and are going to be resident in Ireland in the next calendar year, you may be entitled to apply for split year treatment.  This generally means that you will be taxed in the normal way and full tax credits will be allowed from the date of arrival.

Double Taxation Agreement

The Double Taxation Agreement ensures that any tax paid on income earned abroad will not have to be paid in both the country of employment and Ireland. However, this agreement is only applicable in countries where Ireland already has a Double Taxation Agreement in place.

Seafarers’ Allowance

If your job requires you to travel by sea to and from an international port, you might qualify for the Seafarers’ Allowance. This allowance only applies to those who transport passengers or cargo to and from a foreign port for payment. Seafarers must not be employed by the Public Sector and must be at sea for at least 161 days or more throughout the course of a year.

More Questions?

Nowadays, it is much more common to leave Ireland to travel or work abroad for a time. Here at Irish Tax Rebates, we understand that the last thing you want to think about when moving to Ireland or starting a new life in a foreign country, are your taxes.

Let our tax experts take away the confusion and stress. Irish Tax Rebates has the highest average tax rebate in Ireland and the lowest fee; if you aren’t owed any tax back, there is no fee applied.

Contact our experts for more advice or simply apply online to get your money back online today!


New Customers: Apply here.

Existing Customers: Apply For Additional Rebate