For those of you who hold medical cards, the news hasn’t been great lately. Many of you have been subjected to “reviews” by the HSE and may have ended up losing your card(s) altogether. However, there is potentially good news for some of you – you may be able to secure a tax rebate where you paid USC on your PAYE earnings.

If you had a medical card for even one day only in the tax year, you may qualify for a reduced rate of USC (Universal Social Charge) in the tax year in question, and in turn a tax rebate. This reduced rate of USC may also apply to prior tax years even if there has been a period during which you did not have a medical card.


Medical Card Tax Rebate


For Example:

If you earn €30,000 per annum, you will incur a USC charge of €596 per annum. If you had a medical card, even if only for one day in the tax year, USC should be charged at a
reduced rate, resulting in a USC charge of only €318 per annum.

You may be due a tax rebate in the region of more than €78 per annum, if the reduce rate of USC was not applied, even though you were/are a medical card holder. This tax rebate can be back dated for four years even if you no longer have a medical card.

However, if you earn over €60,000 per annum, then you cannot avail of the reduced USC rate and no rebate will apply, please ensure your employer changes your rate of USC once you reach the €60k + on your gross salary.

Also, not to forget, you are due a full refund of your USC when you have earned less
than €13,000 over the year.


Medical Card Holders – Claim Your Tax Back!

For more information on how you can get tax back for medical cards, contact our team of tax experts at Irish Tax Rebates. We advise on tax relief applicable to your expenses and help you to get your money back in a matter of 12 working days. We have the highest average tax rebate in Ireland; and if you aren’t owed any tax back, there is no fee applied. To get the ball rolling, you can apply for your tax back online today!


New Customers: Apply here.

Existing Customers: Apply For Additional Rebate