Tax Tips

How to Claim Tax Back for Dental Expenses

claim tax back for dental expenses

Dental work can be expensive, so it’s a good thing that many treatments qualify for tax relief allowing you to deduct a proportion of their cost from your annual tax liability. If you’ve undergone dental treatment in the last four years, there’s a good chance you will be able to claim tax back on the procedure.

This article covers which treatments qualify for dental tax back and which don’t, followed by an outline of the amount of relief that is available, before finally running through the actual process of getting tax back. Let’s get started.

What type of Dental Expenses are Tax Deductible?

For a dental treatment to qualify for tax relief it must be classified as a specialised treatment. Any treatments that fall under the category of routine care do not qualify for dental tax refunds. Routine dental treatments include things like tooth extractions, scaling and filling, as well as the repair of artificial teeth and dentures.

Dental treatments that do qualify as specialised include enhancements like bridges, crowns and veneers, as well as components like gold posts and inlays, or replacement tips. Root canals along with periodontal (gum) and orthodontic (tooth alignment – braces) treatments also qualify, as does the surgical extraction of wisdom teeth at a hospital.

How Much Tax Relief will I get?

Tax relief is given as a percentage of the expenses you have incurred. Tax relief for qualifying dental expenses, like those identified above, is given at the standard rate of 20%. That means you can claim back 20% of the costs of qualifying specialised treatments.

Can I claim tax back for dental work abroad?

If you received dental treatment abroad to either see a particular specialist, take advantage of cheaper prices, or if you needed specialised treatment while travelling, you will be pleased to learn it is possible to still claim tax back on the treatment.

It doesn’t matter if you could have received the same treatment at home. The only stipulation is that the dental surgeon or practitioner is legally allowed to practice dentistry in the country where the treatment took place. You cannot claim for travel expenses incurred.

Applying for Dental Tax Relief

Irish Tax Rebates has more than 20 years of experience claiming back tax on behalf of a wide range of customers. We have the highest average tax rebate in Ireland and the lowest fee. Plus, if you aren’t owed any tax back, there is no fee to pay, making us an easy and risk-free solution. Apply online in an instant, using our simple one-page online form and send us in your Med2 Form from your dentist.

If you need any support with your dental tax refund, or if you have any other questions about your tax credits and allowances, feel free to call us on 059 8634 794 or email anytime – our team of experienced tax professionals will be more than happy to help.