Tax Tips

Claiming Tax Back – The Most Frequently Asked Questions

Tax Back: Most Frequently Asked Questions

Here at Irish Tax Rebates, we receive a lot of questions from the public via phone, e-mail and social media each week regarding the process of claiming tax back. We have compiled the answers for our most frequently asked questions into this article to help guide those interested in getting money back.

How much of a tax rebate could I get back?

That depends on the level of overpayment on tax, the tax credits applicable and several other factors. The average tax rebate for Irish Tax Rebates customers is €1,057 with individual rebates issued by Irish Tax Rebates reaching as high as €20,000 and more.

What tax can I claim back?

Tax rebates can result from overpayment of USC and income tax.  You may also be able to claim tax back on tuition fees, dental or medical expenses paid over the last 4 years.  If you have changed personal circumstances and got married or divorced in the last 4 years, it is also important to check if you are due tax back.

Many PAYE workers are not aware of what tax relief they can claim by way of flat rate expenses.  Flat rate expenses are expenses that are incurred in the performance of the duties of employment and are directly related to the nature of employment.

Depending on what your occupation is, one cannot assume that the Revenue Commissioners have all the correct information.  Flat rate expenses are allowable at your higher rate of tax; therefore, this can be quite a valuable tax credit!

How many years can you claim tax back for?

You can claim a tax rebate for the previous 4 years. Even if your P21 balancing statement from Revenue does not indicate that any tax back is due, it is still worth having it checked with an expert tax back service as Revenue will not check if you are due tax relief on tax credits you are not currently claiming.

Mistakes do happen and many potential rebates unfortunately go unclaimed. Once it is more than 4 years after the end of a tax year, you are unable to check or claim tax back for that tax year.  It is therefore worth requesting a tax review at least once every 12 months.

Who can claim tax back?

If over the last 4 years you have been taxed incorrectly while in employment, have paid emergency tax, have been made redundant, went on maternity leave, experienced a gap in employment, have undertaken a fee-paying college course or paid medical expenses, you may be eligible for tax back. 3 out of every 4 Irish Tax Rebates customers have been found eligible for a tax rebate.

Do I need to have copies of receipts for expenses?

Yes, it is necessary to have copies of receipts for any expenses that you wish to claim tax relief on. If you cannot locate the receipts for medical or dental expenses, contact your doctor, clinic or dentist and ask them to re-send you a copy.

Send a copy of your receipts to Irish Tax Rebates – please note, we cannot return these as they are required for Revenue records so ensure to make a copy of each receipt for yourself.

I’ve since moved away from Ireland, can I still claim a tax refund?

If you have lived and worked in Ireland over the last 4 years, you may be eligible for a tax rebate and can apply to claim tax back regardless of where you live now in the world.

How much will it cost to claim a rebate?

Irish Tax Rebates has the highest average tax rebate in Ireland and the lowest fee; if you aren’t owed any tax back, there is no fee applied. To get the ball rolling, you can apply for your tax back online today.

Still have questions? Check out our Complete Guide: Irish Tax FAQ’s  where we cover the top 30 Irish tax frequently asked questions!

Claim your tax back

tax agent